Džūkste parish is bounded by Lestene parish and Slampe parish in Tukums Municipality, Annenieki parish and Jaunbērze parish in Dobele Municipality as well as Jaunpīls parish in Jaunpils Municipality. Total area of the parish is 184.4 km2. There were 1,416 inhabitants in the parish in the beginning of 2018.
Name “Džūkste” was mentioned for the first time in scripts in early 14th century, but it is assumed that the parish was established in 1980 when it was merged with Pienava parish, and until 1925, it was called Džūkste-Pienava parish. Presumably, it has been named after Džūkste River and Pienava River, whereas, in 1925, it was renamed as Džūkste parish.
Name “Džūkste” has orininated from an adjective denominating swampy, boggy place, also a big puddle. Name “Lancenieki” is associated with marshy meadows, i.e. overflowing, wet meadows. The soil in the parish is really heavy, loamy and wet in many places. It had many lakes before land amelioration – Grauzdes Lake, Burģu Lake and Čuču Lake, tj name the largest of them.
History of Džūkste is related closely to the Evangelical Lutheran Church, which was founded in 1567 owing to Duke of Courland and Semigalia, Gotthard von Kettler. The masonry building was built in 1689. It was rebuilt for several times, until in 1989, it obtained its high and sleek tower, which completely changed the external look of the building. The church was destroyed in 1944.
The oldest school was situated in “Ērģelnieki”, founded by a priest Vilperts, whereas the first public schools were founded around 1850, initially in Džūkste and then in Lancenieki. Between 1883 and 1903, Ansis Lerhis-Puškaitis, who started collecting Latvian fairy-tales, worked in Lancenieki School.
Džūkste was one of first cradles of developing social life of Latvians. In 1871, the parish organized first song days, choirs started their activities and various societies were set up. Džūkste House of Societies was built from 1985 to 1891, and now it serves as the culture centre and Džūkste service centre.
Territory of Džūkste parish was damaged heavily during the World War II, because military operations took place there between 1944 and 1945. Monuments and memorial places still remind of that period.
Name of Džūkste parish was brought to wider public by men “who were not afraid to tackle social issues and devote their lives to that end”. The most prominent of them was a teacher, folklore specialist, public figure, gardener and writer Ansis Lerhis – Puškaitis (1859 – 1903; teacher and father of Latvian fairy-tales) who is now commemorated in Džūkste Fairy – tale Museum, built in the territory of parish.